Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Pies!

This year we are having Thanksgiving dinner at my grandma's house as usual and I was assigned two pecan pies and one pumpkin pie. Pecan pie was the very first pie I ever made around 4 years ago and now pie baking is kind of my claim to fame in the family.

As usual, I jumped right into the recipe for the pumpkin pies without really reading the recipe all the way through and ended up with the ingredients for four pies instead of only two... luckily we have enough pie tins to use them all and enough friends to share them with!

All the spices and eggs needed to make the pumpkin pies. I just love the little pinch bowls; they make me feel like I am on a cooking show!

I decided to get a little fancy with the crust and cut out leaves from the extra dough to line the edge of the pie. I poked holes on the back of the leaf and the pie crust edge and then....

...put what I have dubbed "baker's slip" (mixture of flour and water similar to the consistency of sculpting slip) and stuck them on, slightly overlapping the leaves.

The pie rose a little more than I thought it would, but the leaves are still visible.

Tada! The process was tedious but the extra time put into the leaves paid off I think! I wish there was a way to mend the slit in the side I made to see if it was done...

My lovely pecan pie! No recipe has ever seemed to have sufficient nuts so I always add to extra handfuls and everyone seems to like the extra nuttiness. 

And now they are ready to go to Grandma's house in the convenient pie carriers I recently received!



I am very thankful that my family will be all together this Thanksgiving and am really looking forward to dinner tonight! My favorite dish is definitely a toss up between mashed potatoes or sweet potato casserole with marshmallow fluff!



4 comments:

  1. Gee, you are pieriffic! That crust is like something I would see on the food network! Love pumpkin pie. I always want it on my birthday, no cake for me!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I put quite a bit of effort into it! :) Mmm sounds like a good alternative to a birthday cake!

      Delete
  2. THey look wonderful. DO you have a pie bird? The little bird that sits in the middle of the two pie crusts and lets steam come out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No, I don't have a pie bird... I actually have never heard of one until now! They look so cute! Have you used them before and do they work well?

      Delete