Saturday, November 3, 2012

Catch-Up Day!

This week has been pretty busy so I am going to do a post today about everything I have accomplished this week that hasn't been posted and is noteworthy!

I am trying to keep up with crocheting my 1890's shawl from Kline Creek Farm but I keep running out of yarn! This week I made time to spin some more of the blue yarn:

Ah, haven't spun in awhile! 

My shawl is coming along well! I am about 3/5ths done.

Looking shapely so far! I like the way it drapes on my shoulders!

The real problem here is that crocheting just uses up the yarn faster than I can spin it! At least I have one ball of the blue left as of this moment... that ought to last me a few hours. :)


My other Spanish teacher has returned from her maternity leave (we missed her so much!) and I knitted this hat for her little girl using a modified version of the Aviatrix Baby Hat I found on Ravelry! I really liked the pattern but wanted to modify it to make it a little more delicate. I did not do the ear flaps or chin strap and added a little salmon crocheted flower on the side:
Eeee so cute! I just love the pattern!

Simple flower: crocheted ring with 16 chain petals!

This hat was a little bit of a learning experience for me because I have never worked with wrap & turns before! This pattern was a great way to ease into this technique and I now understand how it can shape garments.

Remember this crazy yarn from my Art Yarn Extravaganza class?


It has been knitted into a cowl:

I am absolutely in love with cowls now and this one is so perfectly crazy and colorful! I cannot wait to wear it this winter! I just need to dig my winter coat out now and sew the buttons back on it...


And finally, I made some Cardamom bread earlier this week! Cardamom is a spice that is used in Scandinavian pastries and Turkish tea according to the package and I first tasted this bread at Kline Creek Farm around 6 years ago and it kind of is a sweet bread:

It is so pretty! (Tasty too!)

The braids make it look so fancy! I used this recipe here

Well, that about sums up my week! What projects have you been working on lately? 



4 comments:

  1. I love how your shawl fits you! It's like an adorable capelet. Your more feminine version of the hat is so cute, too! And that bread looks delicious... I haven't tried a braided bread yet but you've inspired me to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The braided bread is a lot of fun to make; let me know how yours turns out! :)

      Delete
  2. Your shawl is beautiful! Love love love that cute little baby hat - the flower makes it! I like cardamon bread - we have Norwegian friends who have made it and you're right, it is delicious. Try adding the spice to your pancake or waffle batter and instead of maple syrup use jam as the topping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Mmm that sounds really good! I will have to try it next time we make pancakes or waffles!

      Delete