Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A Chocolate Pie for the 4th of July!

(^ Did you catch that rhyme?!) Happy Independence Day to all my fellow Americans! In our family we go all out by going to see the local parade, watching the firework show by our village, having a cookout, and camping out in our backyard with our neighbors. Besides knitting and spinning, I am also very into baking pies! This year I have entered a blueberry pie into our county fair (more on that once it's fair time!) and I made a chocolate cream pie to cut into on our favorite summer holiday!


It was my first attempt at a chocolate cream pie and I think it turned out pretty well! I made the crust myself (I always do!) using flour, salt, and butter flavored shortening. I have experimented with lard and butter in the past, but the shortening always does it for me! Lard isn't really purchased in my house and butter works, but the dough doesn't turn out as flaky in my experience. The day I made the pie, it was kind of chilly and the crust wasn't rolling out very well and on a whim I decided to press the crust into the pan and it worked quite nicely! (Much less hassle than trying to roll it and transfer the whole sheet into the pie pan). The chocolate cream filling was essentially a pudding that was boiled on the stove top and poured into the pre-baked crust and chilled for several hours. Then I whipped some fresh cream to put on top and sprinkled some chocolate shavings on top! Although the edges of the crust are a bit uneven, I think the pie looks quite picturesque if I do say so myself! All of the neighbors enjoyed eating the pie which is really what it is all about! :)

Another Happy Independence Day to all and to all a good night! I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday and gave thanks for the freedom and national pride that we are able to have here! (More knitting and spinning to come!)

What kind of Independence Day traditions do you have? Any special desserts you enjoy making for the summer? Let me know, below!

No comments:

Post a Comment