Thursday, June 21, 2012

Doctor Who?!

I have been posting mostly spinning projects so far and I think now is a good time to admit to my inner geek and how much I enjoy the British Sci-Fi show Doctor Who with some knitting projects! The graphics may not be the best (as my younger sister points out every time I mention it) but it mixes time travel, outer space, science/technology, and an eccentric superhero type figure known simply as the Doctor which calls to me! I don't watch a lot of television, but this is one show that is perfect to knit-a-long to! A lot of our kitchen old dishcloths have holes in them from overuse, so my mom asked me to knit some up and I came across these great Doctor Who themed patters on Ravelry:


The first one: "I <3 <3 D W" (Doctor Who of course) There are two hearts because the Doctor (an humanoid alien) is a Time Lord and their kind have two hearts!


And the second: In the shape of a Dalek, the sworn enemy of the Time Lord after they defeated all of the Time Lords in the Time War (except for the Doctor!)

I think the dishcloths are Dalek-table and I am so psyched that Ravelry has patterns for truly EVERYTHING! I have several other Doctor Who related knitting patterns in my queue now waiting to be knitted up including socks and a TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimension In Space) Kindle cozy. 

And thank you for bearing with me to anyone who is not into Doctor Who, I have a project that everyone can relate to! I wanted to start making some fun little things and there are also a lot of educational/ scientfic type patterns on Ravelry. Behold, the knitted Solar System:


I found the pattern for the earth on Ravelry and decided to make the whole solar system and suspend it from  my bedroom ceiling! I am trying to keep the sizes of the planets mildly proportional (the real proportions would be having the earth be the size of a pebble and Jupiter taking up my entire room). Since Earth is more detailed than the others, I will include some close up shots of the Eastern and Western Hemisphere!


Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and  Asia!


North America and South America!

Only the inner planets done as of now, but I have some more yarn in my stash I can use for some of the larger gaseous planets. Unfortunately, the outer planets are going to have to wait until I can figure out how to hang them off of the ceiling because they will be larger and significantly heavier... If you have any ideas, let me know! (I am currently using metal hooks that screw directly into the ceiling and are just held in the drywall.) Let me know what kind of projects you have been working on lately too! (especially the geeky ones!)


Notes:




(All the other planets were knitted from a generic sphere pattern)

2 comments:

  1. Those Doctor Who dishcloths are fantastic! I'm watching the whole series for the first time while I'm spinning, and I absolutely love it. It's so clever that the "I ♥♥ DW" one has two hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love the series too; it's a good one to spin along to!

    ReplyDelete