Monday, June 18, 2012

Bulky, The Amazing Technicolor Dream Yarn

So I have been very busy lately and did not want to commit to a big project like the two braids of Corridale fiber I have stashed away and I had been looking for a small project to do to satisfy my hunger for spinning. Awhile ago, I bought a kit of felting materials and some bags of scrap wool to felt with. Felting is fun, but it isn't really my thing; so until now, I have had a big bag of wool gathering dust in my closet. It is here I found my answer to not having a lot of time to start a large project! I decided to spin all of the scraps together to make a funky, Technicolor yarn and ply it with some black Cheviot wool roving my mom had hiding in her closet. (Maybe our closets are portals to an alternative universe where wool multiplies itself? No, that's my imagination running away again...) After all that spinning, the final product looked pretty groovy!


Here is a close up of the skein untwisted to see the array of colors more easily:


The colors include: "red and yellow and green and brown and scarlet and black and ochre and peach and ruby and olive and violet and fawn and lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve and cream and crimson and silver and rose and azure and lemon and russet and grey and purple and white and pink and orange and blue!"* Okay maybe there aren't THAT many colors and they probably aren't exactly the ones that Joseph's Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat had, but you get the idea! (Hey maybe his coat was knitted with similar yarn after all, I mean  evidence of knitting has been traced all the way back to ancient Egypt!**)

The only downfall to this particular yarn was that when I was plying the colors with the black cheviot, the two together were too think for my orifice hole. This is getting to be quite a problem for me. Even though it is pretty pricey, I really need to look into obtaining a bulky flier, especially since bulky art yarns are my favorite variety of yarns... Anyway, soon I hope to be spinning more, but until then, enjoy this post and happy crafting!

*These lyrics belong to Tim Rice who wrote them and Andrew Lloyd Webber who composed the music. I claim no ownership of them at all. But it is a fun musical, check it out sometime! 

** From this article about knitting found on ancient Egyptian mummies, published in the New York Times in 1883: 


No comments:

Post a Comment