Saturday, May 26, 2012

I Dub Thee, Fairy Pond!

These last weeks have been rather busy for me as the school year winds down and there are finals to study for, but I have managed to spin up the first skein of yarn on my wheel! The first ball I decided to attack was the Corriedale roving that was the deep purple/blue/pink ball. I spun it a little thicker than I usually do and decided to ply it with a thin strand of metallic thread rather than with itself for fear it wouldn't fit through the orifice hole. (Typically, yarn that is half the thickness of the orifice hole should be the largest spun*) The final product, in my opinion, is absolutely beautiful! The yarn is deeply colored with little flecks of silver thread and the occasional shiny blue seed bead. It is very soft and evenly think and thin; art-yarny for lack of a better word! :) But don't just take my word for it, take a look and let me know what you think!


The whole skein (so shiny and glittery!)


Close up of the strands and beads!

I decided to name this yarn Fairy Pond because it reminds me of something fairies might live near - the magical combination of the deep purple and blue with glints of silvery shine seem as though it were spun from a mystical puddle! I have not been knitting very much lately due to the excitement of the spinning wheel, but I have a LOT of yarn in my stash that should be used for something soon, especially taking into consideration that I am making yarn too! The Fairy Pond yarn would make a lovely shawl, but I may not have enough to make one... (it's only 80 yards or so), so please, feel free to comment below if you have any ideas for projects that would be worthy of a soft, shiny, bulky yarn and give any feedback you might have about the blog so far! 


*Images to go with the orifice hole description from above.


Incorrect: Wool is too think to be drawn onto the bobbin.


Correct: Wool is thin enough to be drawn onto the bobbin as well as plied later.

The size of orifice this wheel came with is regular sized, but bulky fliers (the entire part circled in green) can be purchased extra for most wheels like this and allow you to spin bulkier yarns. This is especially good for spinning art yarns, which are my personal favorites. So if anyone is looking to get me a gift... look no further than this link! ;)


2 comments:

  1. It's so great to see your handspun! I'm saving up for a Ladybug, too. So excited to have found your blog!
    xo Julie

    ♥Julie Rose Sews♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete